Today, REGENESIS and the NGWA reminds you to:
ACT — Acknowledge, Consider, Take Action!
1. Acknowledge the causes of preventable groundwater contamination!
* There are hazardous substances common to households
* Most household water use occurs in a few areas around the home.
* Wellheads should be a safe distance from potential contamination
* Septic system malfunctions can pollute groundwater
* Poorly constructed or maintained wells can facilitate contamination
* Improperly abandoned wells can lead to groundwater contamination
2. Consider which apply to you!
* What specific hazardous substances are in and around your home?
* Where do you and your family use the most water?
* Is your wellhead a safe distance from possible contamination?
* Is your well/septic system due for an inspection?
* Are there any abandoned wells on your property?
3. Take action to prevent groundwater contamination!
* When it comes to hazardous household substances:
* Store them properly in a secure place
* Use them according to the manufacturer’s recommendations
* Dispose of them safely.
* When it comes to water conservation:
* Modify your water use (more water saving tips)
* Install a water-saving device.
(Information from: http://www.ngwa.org/Events-Education/groundwater-day/Pages/default.aspx)
For more information, or to discuss groundwater protection and other groundwater-related issues, follow NGWA’s Facebook page and post your comments or questions on the discussion board. You may also visit REGENESIS on Facebook! Follow our tweets to learn more about how to protect your groundwater supply!